Okay then, Nathanstarted it all and then Johntagged me. Basically we have to come up with the best first song on our favorite albums, these should be one of the best songs that define that artist, and they should kinda define us. So here goes. First, for the younger crowd, there used to be these things called vinyl records and then cassette tapes. They both had two sides, thus the Side 1, Track 1. Now, I am officially an old fart… [sigh] Anyway…
- Welcome to the Jungle – Guns N Roses. Probably still the best GNR song in my opinion, and a killer way to start a career. Axl’s initial scream sets the tone.
- Hotel California – Eagles. I had a hard time between this or Desperado, but Hotel Cali won out. Everyone knows this song.
- Generator – Bad Religion. My favorite band is Bad Religion, punk rock icons that have been doing punk the right way for over 20 years. This is one of my favorite songs by them.
- One Week – Barenaked Ladies. These guys are so fun to see live, and this track really captured the live thing they do so well.
- Head Like a Hole – Nine Inch Nails. This song single-handedly made me an industrial rock fan. Been a huge Trent Reznor fan ever since.
I feel weird not having Depeche Mode up there, but there aren’t many killer Side 1 Track 1 tracks from them unfortunately. I also thought that Whole Lotta Love by Led Zep should be included, but as good as it is, it’s not something I listen to as much as the others. One of my other favorite bands is Cowboy Mouth, and I had too much trouble just picking one song. If I had to, I’d probably say the song Joe Strummer off their most recent album, Voodoo Shoppe…
Man, this was very hard for me. I’m a huge collector of music, and used to be in radio, so trying to narrow stuff down is WAY difficult, I’m sure I forgot something… heh.
Anyway, I would like to tag the following five. Show me your faves!