Well apparently Nathan thinks our songs were not obscure enough. 🙂
So, I started looking for really great opening tracks from artists you may not have heard of. I came up with so many, that I thought I would just list them out for you. I’m sure there are some on this list you know, but hopefully a lot you do not as well.
- This Could Be Love by Alkaline Trio – Lyrics like ‘Step one — slit my throat Step two — play in my blood Step three — cover me in dirty sheets and run laughing out of the house’ makes for an interesting song
- Everything Sucks by The Descendents
- Sometimes I Don’t Mind by Suicide Machines – Best ode to your dog ever.
- In The Meantime by Helmet
- 30/30 – 150 by Stone Sour
- Independent by Sacred Reich – These guys sent me a bong with their logo on it when I worked in radio!
- Knives by Therapy?
- Foul Taste of Freedom by Pro-Pain – It’s from the early 90’s but seems pretty apropos to today
- All-Right (Oh Yeah) by Local H – Best two person band you’ll ever see live
- A Girl Like You by The Smithereens
- The World Around Me by King’s X
- Amazing by Johnette Napolitano – The lead singer of Concrete Blonde has a killer solo album
- Surefire by Econoline Crush
- So Cold by Breaking Benjamin
- King of New Orleans by Better Than Ezra
- Hands Down by Dashboard Confessional
- Lifts You Up by Beth Hart – One of the most passionate vocalists I’ve ever heard. Check out her live stuff.
- Walking in Memphis by Marc Cohn
- Follow Through by Gavin DeGraw
- All For You by Sister Hazel – Great lyrics
- You’re The Only One by Maria Mena
- Favorite Song by Nine Days
- Steal My Sunshine by Len – I dare you to not be happy after this song
- These Days by Jennifer Paige
- I Wanna Be There by Blessid Union of Souls
- Just the way it is, Baby by The Rembrandts – These guys were more than the ‘Friends Theme’ band.
As for Industrial, and Nathan’s comments about Skinny Puppy. I never really dug them, but if you wanna get into some obscure stuff, I could probably dedicate an entire post to just weird ass industrial